Boyle excited for the challenge Rovers brings



After two seasons spent playing for Ollie Horgan at Finn Harps midfielder Ethan Boyle has signed for Shamrock Rovers. 


Rovers had to pay a reported €8,000 compensation for the 20 year-old Wexford native, due to his age. Boyle is also an Irish U-21 International. 


He is a midfielder, however most of his time at Harps was spent at right-back, and it’s his versatility that was a factor in Rovers boss Stephen Bradley’s interest.


Bradley said, “I’ve liked Ethan for a long time. I think he brings a lot of qualities to us. He’s very athletic, powerful and he can use the ball. He’s very comfortable on the ball because he’s played midfield as well. He has a lot of really good attributes.”


“He’s a good age, he’s an Irish under 21 international so I think he’s a great fit for us. I believe we can help take Ethan’s game to the next level, make him into a top right back, centre-back and midfielder. He can play in 3 or 4 positions. I’ve known him for a number of years and he’s impressed me every time I’ve seen him, whether it’s right back or central midfield.”


“We had him on trial a couple of years ago (under Pat Fenlon). Back then I think we had too many players in those positions. Ethan has obviously gone off and played a lot of games in the league since then. When I spoke to him he just wanted to come and sign for us and get playing. He knows that he can be a big player for the club in the coming years. He’s really looking forward to it.”


Ethan Boyle said, “It didn’t take much persuasion. It’s a big club and the thought of playing for Shamrock Rovers is quite a big thing so I was more than happy to join. I’m very excited, I can’t wait to get to pre-season and hopefully get myself a starting position and hold it down.”

 

“Stephen Bradley hasn’t specifically spoken to me about right-back but he’s said that a position in the back four may be more suited. I’ve no problem staying in a position for a year and completely honing in on that position and becoming the best player I can.”


“I think I’m versatile, I can do a job in a lot of places. I’ve always said I like playing in midfield but I know there’s a lot of competition here. If they want me to play in midfield, right-back or centre-back I don’t mind.”


I think I’ve come on a lot in the past couple of seasons. I’ve spent two years in the Premier Division, that’s a lot of experience for me. I really enjoyed it at Finn Harps. I made a lot of friends there and a lot of personal goals came through for me. Certain aspects of my game have been improved and still need to be improved and I’m sure that’ll happen here.”


Photo Credit: Shamrock Rovers FC

Comments