Steacy looking forward to the challenge at Shelbourne



Goalkeeper Lee Steacy has given up Premier Division football to join First Division side Shelbourne in the hope that it could lead to becoming the Number 1 goalkeeper at the club. He’s spent many years as an understudy to some real quality keepers, and feels that that’s it’s now his time to shine.


The former Bray Wanderers Number 2 becomes Owen Heary’s confirmed signing for 2018 as his side is beginning to take shape. 


Steacy told us, “I was delighted to have joined Shelbourne, it’s a great club with a great history. I’ve played with a lot of the lads there before too. I was really close to signing there last year so I was happy to get it done now.”


He said he had a number of options but thought that the offer from Shelbourne was the best one for him, “Yeah I had a couple of options. I do really want to play at this stage, but I think this could potentially be a great move. This was the most concrete offer I’d received though, and seemed to be the best decision. “




After speaking to the Shels boss Steacy is confident that he’s in a head-to-head battle with Dean Delaney for the starting spot, “Yeah, Owen (Heary) and myself talked for a bit. Obviously I’ve done 3 full seasons now as second choice and I did really well when I played, but still never really got the chance I thought I deserved. So from talking to Owen it could just be a little bit different this year.”


“I think this season I will record my highest appearances to date and that’s progress in itself. But I’m looking at the bigger picture also, and the future of the club, and laying a marker down for myself to own that number 1 spot potentially going forward.”


Even though the season doesn’t start until February the goalkeeper can’t wait to get things started, “I can’t wait for the new season to begin. I hate not training, so I’m dying to get back at it. If it wasn’t for college sports I’d be lost. 


“I wasn’t sure what I was going to do for next season. I thought maybe I’d give the league of Ireland a miss because I’m on a GAA scholarship. Perhaps it wouldn’t be a bad idea focusing on that, but I’ve worked way too hard to just walk away and I could be just 1 game away from getting that break I believe I deserve. So yeah, I can’t wait to get going and back training for 2018. I think the first division will be really strong this year.”

Comments