Club legend Fabio O’Brien has his say on new managerial appointment at Drogheda United



Following the announcement earlier in the week that inexperienced coach Tim Clancy would take over his former club Drogheda United along with a new Director of Football, former Sligo Rovers manager Dave Robertson, club legend Declan ‘Fabio’ O’Brien has had his say on the surprising appointment. 

O’Brien, the clubs all-time record goalscorer during his two spells at the club, is glad to see fresh managerial blood in the league, however is unsure how the pairing will work out. He told us, “I’m delighted to see a fresh new name instead of the usual suspects that are touted on the merry go round that is is the League of Ireland. Dave Robertson had a very poor stint with Sligo and hasn’t really endeared himself to any League of Ireland fans, so it’s going to be interesting to see where that ends.”


“Tim Clancy is a young, hungry and ambitious coach who seems to be a decent lad. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain, especially with the peanuts (budget) he will be given.”


“I’d imagine expectations will be very low and, to be fair to him, it could work out in the young managers favour.”


Clancy some to the clubs website last night about taking up the role, “I’m really pleased to be given this opportunity. It’s very exciting to be the new manager of Drogheda United and to work alongside Dave Robertson who will give me the guidance that I need in the role.”


“I know from my time with him in Sligo that Dave is a brilliant football man to have around the club. He’s going to be a crucial support mechanism for myself.”


“From the meetings I had with the club, I know that they aren’t looking for a quick fix. We want to build something that’s sustainable here. I just can’t wait to get going.”




O’Brien isn't expecting things to improve quickly, saying “I highly doubt it though, as in my opinion, Drogheda will be stuck in the wilderness for a few years.”


He does have an interesting viewpoint on a possible link-up going forward, “The First Division is probably the right fit for what they have at the moment, so unfortunately the high-flying giant killers that Drogheda were, will struggle unless a strategic plan for a new stadium or funding comes their way sharpish. Or maybe they could piggy-back some project that would involve Dundalk and Drogheda sharing a ground. However, at the moment that looks about as possible as a flying pig. But but then again I’ve seen pigs fly in United Park before!”

Comments