Interview with Wexford’s new captain Ross Kenny



Wexford FC will have a new captain for the 2018 season following former captain Craig McCabe’s departure from the club, as Mayo native Ross Kenny will take up the mantle.


Kenny told us, “I'm both delighted and honoured to be named captain for the 2018 season. Hopefully we will have a lot of leaders within the squad and can continue on the good form from the end of last season.”


He also has great admiration for Damian Locke after his first full season as Manager, “Damian is always very honest as a manager and is extremely hard working. He probably had one of the most difficult managers jobs in the First Division last season, as it was a completely new squad of mostly very young and inexperienced players, so not exactly ideal for his 1st job in the league of Ireland.”


“Wexford have a great tradition of producing very good young players and Damian showed great faith and trust in the young players last season, which paid off towards the end of the season where results and performances were much improved.”


Ross is also involved with the Mayo League U-15’s, in a coaching capacity, who just finished their inaugural season in the league. He said, “My father (Brendan) was the manager of the Mayo U-15 team this season so I was delighted to help out anytime I was at home for the weekend. Obviously the distance was a big factor and playing with Wexford was my priority, but it actually worked out ok last season as there was a couple of weeks where we had no game with wexford.”


“The season also finished a few weeks earlier than the U-15 season so I managed to get to most games.”


“I really enjoy coaching and the U-15 National League is a great standard. It was a great success in its inaugural season so coaching at that level was a great experience for me.”


He’s hoping the experience with the Mayo League will stand to him as he looks to get more involved with the coaching side of the game in the future. However, for now he’s focused on Wexford, “I have completed my UEFA A Licence and would like to continue coaching when possible, but playing with Wexford FC is my priority now.”


“I don't know what the long term plan or vision is for Mayo but I’m sure at the moment the priority is to make sure the U-15s team is sustainable and they are competitive in the league.”


“It’s likely to be more difficult to stay involved in 2018 but if it doesn't affect or clash with playing then I will definitely help out where and when I can with Mayo.”


It’s going to be a very busy year for Ross Kenny, and Wexford fans will be hoping it’s a successful one. 


Photo Credit: Wexford FC

Comments