Longford sign up young trio ahead of next season



Longford Town manager Neale Fenn has begun preparations for the 2018 season by re-signing three of their current stars, goalkeeper Jack Brady, defender and Player of the Year Daniel O’Reilly and midfielder Karl Chambers.


We caught up with all three players to get their reaction to signing on the dotted line for 2018.


Brady 20 (pictured above), broke into the team during the final 6 league games of the season when he replaced Paul Skinner. He looks to have a very bright future at the club.


Brady said, “I had a brilliant experience playing with the club last year. It’s an extremely professionally run club with high ambitions, and I think in terms of my own personal development, it’s the perfect place for me to be at this moment in time.”


Fenn threw young Brady into the team late in the season and Brady is thankful to him, “Since he came into the club he’s been brilliant to work with especially the young players. He believes that if a player is good enough, that he’s old enough, and he places full trust in them which gives me massive confidence going onto the pitch and playing for him. The way he wants us to play really forces us to put ourselves under pressure to try and do the right thing, which really is standing to me in terms of improving certain aspects of my own game.”


On the goalkeepers ambitions for 2018 he said, “With some highly ambitious staff and players, I think it would be a primary desire for the club to get promoted and get ourselves back amongst the elite of Irish football. This club is too big to be sitting in the first division, and I’m very hopeful that I can help the club achieve promotion in 2018.”




Daniel O’Reilly 22, returned from a spell in non-League football in the UK to play a vital role under Fenn, playing 25 games and scoring twice.


O’Reilly told us that the belief the manager has in him is the main reason he’s signed back at the club, “I signed because Neale believes in me as a player and I want to build on a good season last year personally, by playing as many games as I can and help the club to get promoted to the premier division.”


“With regards to Neale, he’s been very good to me since he’s come in and he encourages the lads to express themselves by playing football which may be risky at times but is very rewarding.”


“I believe with keeping quality players from last year and adding some new players we can definetly get promoted.”




Midfielder Karl Chambers 21, played 17 times for the club in 2017 scoring three times. 


Karl spoke to us of his delight at re-signing for the club, “I’m Delighted to sign back with Longford. I’ve really enjoyed it at the club since I’ve been here and knowing Jack Brady and Daniel O’Reilly have signed for next season is a bonus.”


He had no hesitation joining back up with boss Fenn saying, “Neale’s a great manager. With him as a manager I feel I can express myself more on the pitch and he’s brought in a nice style of football too. I want to help the team as much as I can and hopefully win the league next season.”


Photo Credit: Longford Town FC


Comments