Morrissey to stay in Cork until 2019



Midfielder Gearóid Morrissey has agreed, and signed a new 2-year contract with Premier Division Champions Cork City, the club announced earlier today. 

 

Ex-Cambridge United star Morrissey 25, weighed in with a career-best six league goals, and speaking to CorkCityFC.ie, he said: “I think it is the place to be at the moment. We have worked hard to get to where we are and I am enjoying my time with John (Caulfield), John Cotter, Liam Kearney and the group that is here. I have signed back to have another go again next year and the year after.”

 

“Bar my year in Cambridge, I have been here since FORAS came in and it is great to be here now in the good times when we are doing well and challenging for cups and leagues. I am really excited for next season.”

 

He’s improved his all-round play this season along with some goals, and he knows that was something he needed to work on, “I knew I had to add goals to my game and, thankfully, they have been goals that have meant something, so I am happy from that point of view. It will be my first time experiencing the Champions League and I am relishing the thought of it, as are the rest of the players and the fans. There is a buzz around the city at the moment and I think next year will be a special year as well.”

 

With City looking like losing anything from 6 to 8 players in the off-season, the fact that Morrissey has signed on for two more years is a huge boost to City ahead of next week’s FAI Cup Final against Dundalk at the Aviva Stadium. 


Commenting on the news, City boss John Caulfield said: “We are delighted; Gearóid has been a massive player for us, winning a cup medal last year and a league medal this year. He is a local lad and is coming into the peak of his career now, so I feel that in the next three or four years, he will be the standout player in the league.”

 

“Everyone knows his ability, he can drive the team on from midfield. He’s a phenomenal footballer, he’s brilliant on the ball and he has scored four or five goals from outside the box this year. He’s an all-action player and he is passionate about playing for this club and this city.”

Comments