Aganovic delighted to be back in the League of Ireland with Derry



Derry City yesterday announced five new signings ahead of the 2018 campaign. Former Manchester United signing John Cofie 24, an American midfielder Conor Agnew, attacking midfielder David Hopkirk, along with ex St Patrick’s Athletic defender Gavin Peers and a return to the League of Ireland for former Galway United star Armin Aganovic (pictured above).


Centre-back Aganovic 23, signed for the Westerners ahead of the 2016 season and was most recently playing for Raufoss IL in the Norwegian 3rd division, and we caught up with him to ask him how it’s like to be back playing in Ireland


Aganovic told us that he’s delighted to be back in the League of Ireland, “I’m very happy to join Derry City and I’m looking forward to getting a full pre-season behind me this time in the league of Ireland so I can contribute to the team in the best way possible.”


“I enjoyed my stay in 2016 with Galway United and I hope to please the Derry City fans and the club this year both on and off the pitch.”


He knows Derry manager Kenny Shiels for a while now, having spoken to him before, so he knows what’s expected of him. He said, “I had already spoken with Kenny (Shiels) last year, and I have a good picture of the way that Derry City work and want to progress in the league. And I feel that the club and the coach is a great fit for me.”


The Swedish defender can now also look forward to playing European Football after the Candystripes qualified for the Europa League by finishing 4th in the Premier Division last season. He said he hopes to face a Swedish team in the draw, “European Football is a big bonus and I hope we get Djurgårdens from Sweden, as I have a old team-mate and a friend who plays there.”


Also after a season of struggles at St Pats, former Sligo Rovers captain Gavin Peers has also put pen to paper for Kenny Shiels side as they look to progress on their 4th place finish last season.


Peers said, “Yeah, I had a few options but I’m delighted, and can’t wait to get started. Derry is s great club and I’m really looking forward to it. No, it didn’t take any convincing at all, once I got the call I said yes straight away.”


On his year in Dublin with Liam Buckley’s St Pats, Peers said, “My time at St Pats was ok. The fans were great and I got on well with all the lads, but it just wasn’t a great year.”

Comments