Big season ahead for Cian Byrne at Longford



Midfielder Cian Byrne knows that the 2018 season is a big one for him as he looks to establish himself as a league of Ireland footballer, after he re-signed for Longford Town earlier in the week. 


Byrne (pictured above) only made the one appearance for Neale Fenn’s men, in the final game of the season, following his arrival in the summer from non-league football. 


Cian spoke of his delight at re-joining the club for 2018, “I’m delighted myself. I signed for Longford in August from Lucan United in the Leinster Senior League so it was a big step up having never played in the League of Ireland before, even at Under 19 level, but I got the chance to play a lot of games at a decent level with Lucan so it helped me big time.”


“People don’t seem to think that’s it’s a big jump, but the pace and physicality of the players is at a different level so I found it difficult.”


“I didn’t play as much as I would’ve wanted to last season so my plans would be to break into the team and play as many games as possible and improve my game. I’ve been working hard in the off-season so hopefully I can stay injury free and make a mark this season.”


He’s also thrilled to remain working under Neale Fenn, a manager known for trying to play good football, “I think Neale’s great. He came in just before me last season and changed the way the results were going. He’s got all the experience in the League of Ireland and wants to play proper football, so it’s enjoyable having him as a manager.”


Manager Neale Fenn Tweeted the following after both Cian and Jamie Hollywood joined the club;


Very happy to finalise 2 more sigs for Longford Town today. Squad coming together nicely!  ⚫️🔴


On the hopes for next season Byrne said, “I think there’s a good chance the club can push for promotion with the way we finished last season and the players Neale’s bringing in to add to the squad, but it will be difficult with the teams that have come down and the new league structure. But hopefully it will be a good season and we can do well.”


Photo Credit: Longford Town FC


Comments