Wixted arrives at the Showgrounds



Sligo Rovers have added another quality player to their 2018 squad today with the announcement that former Drogheda United winger Adam Wixted had joined the club. 


Wixted 22, was the clubs leading goalscorer in 2017 with 3 goals, however was one of the club’s best performers in his 2-Year spell at United Park. He was also voted Drogheda’s Player of the Year for 2017.

 

The extremely talented winger had played in England with Derby County before returning to Ireland to played for United, Bohemians (at U-19 level) and Bray Wanderers.

 

Wixted spoke about joining Gerard Lyttle side, “I’m really looking forward to bringing what I can to the team. When I first came back from England I had spells with Drogheda and Bohemians. I ended up going back to Drogheda for two years and we got promoted. It was a positive thing to get the Players' Player of the Year for me personally but it wasn't a good season for the club.”


He explained his reasons for linking up with Drogheda in the first place, “I signed for Drogheda when they were in the First Division, primarily for the reason of playing games after being injured previously. We got promoted and it possibly came too soon for the club. I felt I need to prove myself in the Premier Division so it was great to get up but obviously we can't be happy with the season.”


Wixted tweeted after the move was confirmed;


Delighted to be signed with @sligorovers for the upcoming season! Can't wait to get started 👍🏼🔴⚪️

 

"I did enough to catch Gerard's eye which I'm delighted about. I still feel I have a lot more to prove and this opportunity is perfect for that. My goal since I've come back from England has been to get back to full-time football. It's been difficult juggling full-time work. Now I can focus fully on my football, gym and everything else now."

 

“I'm an out and out winger. I played mostly on the right last season for Drogheda. I like to link up play and come inside and link up with the forward. When I play down the left I like to get down the line too.”

 

He also tweeted a thank you to his former club;


Also thank you to @DroghedaUnited for the last two seasons at the club, enjoyed my time there. Great club and everyone involved. Best of luck in the new season.


He’s thrilled that the competition for places will be tough, “I always knew when Gerard made the call that deep down this was the move for me. I really couldn't refuse it. There's good competition here already. It will drive players on in each training session, it will ensure no slacking. There's a good group of players here but I'll work my hardest because I want to play every week.”

 

"I don't want to be too confident. We would be looking to push up the table, be around the mid-table and see where we can get to. I think every club wants to get European football. We have to start something and see where we can go."


Photo Credit: Sligo Rovers FC

Comments