Drogs striker Meaney over the moon to be back



Young striker Stephen Meaney is looking forward to establishing himself in the League of Ireland in 2018 after agreeing to re-sign with Drogheda United under their new manager Tim Clancy this week. 

The 19 year-old told us how pleased he was to remain at the club, “I'm personally over the moon to be back at the club to be honest. I knew straight away when I met up with Tim (Clancy) that I wanted to stay put and try and cement a place in the team this year, and help them out as much as possible to get this club back to where it belongs.”


Clancy only took over at the helm of the club on December the 5th, but hasn’t wasted any time in assembling his squad. Meaney says that the new manager has impressed everyone since taking over, “Yeah 100% I've been impressed with Tim, and I think it's fair to say he's been a busy man since he came in.”


“I'm really looking forward to working with him, seeing as he's only a nipper himself basically, with this being his first managerial job and my first League of Ireland deal.”


“I think we’re both young and hungry and most certainly both have a point to prove.”


The club will be relying on the young players this season along with a sprinkling of experienced heads and Meaney (pictured below with Mark Doyle) knows it’s a great opportunity, “Yeah we will mainly be relying on youth and it's a great chance for us all to put our stamp on the league but it's also great to have a few of the more experienced lads back around too, Seany Brennan for example.”




He also spoke a little on how last season went for him at the club, “I obviously would’ve liked to have played a bit more last season but I could definitely see it was hard for Pete to put me in and to be fair he always had my best interest at heart as he said he didn't want to throw us in at the deep end too soon. But when I did get that chance I made sure I grabbed it with both hands, getting an assist and scoring the goal which turned out to be the winner was the highlight of last season for me.”


“But that's all said and done now, so this year I have to make sure there'll be plenty more of that. Not only for myself but for everyone involved in Drogheda. After last year not going to plan, I think we definitely deserve it.”


It’s all positive at United Park in this off-season, especially now that a new manager is in place and sorting out his squad for the battle ahead. Meaney said, “I spoke with the chairman Fiachra a few days after I signed and he was delighted with how things are going so far and was saying that there's a great buzz around the town which is great to hear.”


He’s also looking for his side to be in the mix at the top end of the table come the end of the season, “Yeah 100%, you can definitely expect us to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season, once we put in the hard work. I'm looking forward to getting back in with the boys and to get started again in the new year.”


Picture Credits; Larry McQuillan (Top), Drogheda United (centre)

Comments