“I can take my game to the next level at St Pats” says new signing James Doona



Former Shamrock Rovers midfielder James Doona had been expected to move to English football, with Tranmere Rovers  supposedly his preferred destination according to reports, but instead the 19 year-old signed for his local side St Patrick’s Athletic. 


Once St Pats boss Liam Buckley showed interest in him Doona couldn’t wait to sign on the dotted line. He told us, “I’m over the moon to sign for such a big club. It’s obviously a big relief to get it done and I’m really looking forward to getting started in January.”


When asked if moving to a big Dublin rival was a difficult decision to make, he said, “no not really. I enjoyed my time at Rovers but being from Inchicore, once St Pats came in for me my mind was kind of made up straight away.”


As for the reports of a move to England Doona said, “Yeah I was over in the UK for 2 weeks and was supposed to be going back over to 1-2 other clubs. There was something there for me but as I said when St Pats came in it was me first choice.”




Doona made 25 appearances in his 2-year spell at Rovers, with the 2017 season being his real breakthrough year. He said of his time in Tallaght, “Last season I feel I definitely progressed at Shamrock Rovers, scoring 7 goals altogether I think. However I personally feel St Pats is the place where I can take my game to the next level.”


The youngster didn’t want to go into details about his reasons for leaving Shamrock Rovers, which is understandable, “I don’t think it’s important to talk about the reason for leaving Shamrock Rovers but more importantly to focus on the future and doing my best for St Patrick’s Athletic.”


Doona still wants to play in England at some stage in the future, but for now the focus is on St Pats, “Yeah definitely. For me, me going over this season I felt that I could have done well, but another year in the League of Ireland  will do me the world off good and we’ll see we’re that takes me. Yes I definitely want to play at the highest level and for me the highest level is in England.”

Comments