O’Connor delighted to be back at Finn Park



After spending the first half of the 2017 season with Finn Harps, from his parent club Dundalk, striker Ciaran O’Connor is back at Finn Park for 2018 after signing a permanent deal to join Ollie Horgan’s men for a promotion battle. 


The young striker has dropped down to the First Division and is looking to use the move to gain momentum in his career. He said, “I’m actually really looking forward to it and personally it’s probably good for me because my aim is to improve myself from the bottom divison and work my way to the top again. I’m still only 21 and my career only starts now. I will be more than ready for the challenge ahead.”


O’Connor also gave us an insight into his thought process ahead of his move, “Well to be honest there was a lot of thought put into my next move. After departing from Dundalk it was very important that wherever I go next I’ve to go and play at least 30 games. I had a few offers from 1 or 2 big teams but to be honest I didn’t know what i was getting myself into. If I went to one of them I wasn’t sure if I was going to play or if I was going to  be second choice to some other striker. So in my own mind I wanted to go to a team I knew already and a manager I had a good relationship with, and it was important that I go and play and most importantly prove that I am capable of scoring goals.”


“In the end the move to Finn Harps was sort of standing out big time even though it was going to be in the First Division. I don’t mind playing in the division because its going be a very competitive year and probably one of the strongest First Divisions in a long time. 


Finn Harps boss Ollie Horgan told the club’s website, “Ciaran played for us in the first half of last season and got five goals. We’re pleased that he has agreed terms for next season. He’s still only 21 but has gained a lot of experience over the past four years in the League of Ireland so hopefully that will be a big help to Ciaran and ourselves in terms of the standard of teams we will be up against in the First Division.”




After leaving Harps in July the young striker went on loan to to Bohemians where big things were expected of him in a very impressive side. However, things didn’t go as he’d hoped. Ciaran said, “Yeah, look I’ve had a fair few loan moves and they all went well apart from my Bohemians move. There could be a number of reasons, and people might have different opinions on it, but I don’t think I was giving a chance. I think I was taken in because Izzy Akinade was injured and they didnt know if he would be back to himself. To be fair to him he came back flying and I didn’t really get a look in.”


“Dinny Corcoran was scoring nearly every week so I couldn’t really say much. However I hold my hand up and say I made a mistake leaving Harps in July. I should’ve stayed but I’ve definitely learnt my lesson. I didnt fall out with anybody, and Bohs are all good people. Keith (Long) is a good manager and Trevor (Crolly) is an excellent coach and I wish them all the best next season.”


He’s now looking forward to teaming up with Ollie Horgan and his assistant Paul Hegarty again. He has nothing but praise for the managerial team saying, “Ollie is top man and is as honest as it comes with me. Paul Hegarty is his assistant and he had me at Derry, so I’m pretty close to hegsy and he played a big part in me putting on a Harps jersey next year. I’ve all the trust in the world in these two men and I couldn’t be happier working with them again next year.”


O’Connor is hoping to hit the ground running on e the season starts, “I expect a lot from from myself next season. I will be fitter than I’ve ever been going into a new season. I’m planning on scoring a fair few goals that will hopefully play a big part to take Finn Harps back into the Premier Division. The plan for this club is to get promoted straight away. It’s where we feel the club belongs, and deserves to be. We are really looking forward to the new season ahead.”

Comments