3-time League winner Meenan looking forward to a promotion push with Longford Town



Darren Meenan was this week announced as the latest addition to Neale Fenn’s squad for the new League of Ireland season starting in February.


The highly experienced midfielder was very close to signing for Belgian side RWD Molenbeek last week, having been released by Shamrock Rovers at the end of the 2017 season and had a number of other offers. However, the 31 year-old confirmed that the City Calling stadium would be his home for the new season. 


Meenan said, “I decided to join Longford because obviously I no Neale very well and the way he wants to play. I had other offers from the Premier Division, the North and elsewhere but the money wasn’t right, so Neale (Fenn) threw something at me with the football and I decided to go with that. Also, they train in Leixlip, which is 15 minutes away from me which is perfect.”


The former Lilywhite, who won three league titles during his time with Dundalk under Stephen Kenny, said that the invaluable experience of his new boss Neale Fenn was a major factor in his final decision on where to sign. “Neale was a big factor in my final decision as I know exactly what he’s about and he knows what I am about so I am looking forward to working together.”


With so much experience in the Premier Division, it will be a new challenge for Meenan in the First Division, but his sights are already set on a return to the top flight as soon as possible. He reckons that will be the collective thinking around the squad come the start of the season “It’s one of them things, where you could come back up to the Premier Division next year, and that’s what I am sure a good few them are already thinking. Next year, we want to be up there challenging, it will be a competitive league but we just need to look after ourselves.”


Darren was announced alongside Evan Galvin from Cabinteely F.C to bring the total number of new additions at the club to 15 as Neale Fenn continues to build what he hopes will be a squad capable of challenging for the title and promotion next season.


Picture Credit: Longford Town FC

Comments