Three additions for Drogheda as Clancy shapes his squad



Drogheda United kicked off 2018 in some style with the announcement of three additions to rookie manager Tim Clancy’s side for the 2018 campaign.


Midfielder Richie Purdy is back at United Park for a third season after establishing himself in former manager Pete Mahon’s side in 2017. He will be joined at the club by former Drogs star, goalkeeper Paul Skinner after he left Longford Town. 


Also joining the club is young defender Ciarán Kelly, following three years spent in Inchicore with St Patrick’s Athletic. 


We caught up with all three following their unveiling.


20 year-old Purdy is delighted to be back saying, “I’m delighted to sign back with Drogheda United. It’s a really good club and the people have been great to me since I first signed, and I just can't wait to get going again now.”


After becoming an important player last season Purdy just wants to keep that progression going, “Yeah it's a big year for me. I just want to play as much football as I can. I had a good run in the team last year, in which I learned a lot playing against some top teams and top players.”


Tim Clancy has been extremely busy since taking charge at the club in the off-season and has impressed the youngster, “I’ve been very impressed with everything Tim has said and how he wants to play. He’s a young manager so he'll have his own ideas on how he wants things to be done.”




Purdy now can’t wait for the season to kick-off, “I'm really looking forward to the season starting. I just want to get going and get pre-season done. Its going to be a very exciting league this year, and a very close one, so i just can't wait to get going.”


Goalkeeper Paul Skinner 28, had spent the last three years with Longford Town but lost his place towards the tail end of last season to youngster Jack Brady. Skinner began his career at Drogheda, making 25 league appearances in 2009-10, when the club were in the Premier Division.


Skinner said, “Yes I’m delighted to back at Drogheda. I spoke with Tim over the break and I’m excited to get on board. It’s a massive club, and the aim will certainly be promotion in what is a very very strong league.”


Centre-back Ciarán Kelly comes from St Pats, after coming through the youth ranks, where he featured twice for Liam Buckley’s side in the Leinster Senior Cup. 


The youngster knows that 2018 is a big year as he tries to establish himself in the league, “Yes this is a very big year for me. I've had a great 3 years at St. Pats. I see it as a step up going to Drogheda from Pats under 19’s. The most important thing in my first senior season is to play as many games as possible.”


He’s happy after talking to his new boss, “Tim Clancy told me how he wants to play and that style will suit me down to the ground. I'm really looking forward to a new start and can't wait to get going on pre-season now.”


Picture Credit: Larry McQuillan (Drogheda United) 

Comments