McCarthy delighted with debut goal



By Gerard Mulreaney (@gerardmulreaney)


Savannah McCarthy joined Cork City for the 2018 Continental Tyres Women’s National League and didn’t waste any time in opening her account, as she scored the opening goal in a 2-0 win over Galway at Eamonn Deacy Park on Sunday. 


The 20 year-old defender, playing on her debut, scored a cracking left-footed effort from all of 30 yards to beat. Galway goalkeeper Tina Hughes all ends up. 


You can check out Savannah's superb strike here;


https://twitter.com/galwaywfc/status/973108430037712896?s=21


Having left Glasgow City following a 2-year spell in the Scottish Women’s Premier League, McCarthy returned to join the FAI Cup winners as they look to challenge for title honours this season. 


McCarthy told me she was delighted to start the campaign with a win, “It's great to finally get the league kicked off and get the competitive games under my belt. Credit where it's due to Galway, they're a well organised team and I think they'll do well this season. Thankfully we got the two goals and we’re happy to take the three points back to cork with us. It's always good to win the first game of the season, it sets your ways for the rest of the up-coming games.”


Not known for scoring spectacular goals the defender was nonetheless pleased with their goal, “Scoring isn't something I do too often, and when I do it's normally a header, so to score the way I did in my debut is amazing and I'm really happy with it.”


She’s been well received at the club since arriving, as she said, “The girls and staff have been so nice and helpful with settling me into the club and it also helps that I knew most of the players from playing with/against them previously when I was in this league. I'm really enjoying my time at Cork so far so hopefully we've more wins to come.”


Picture Credit: FAI.ie


Comments